No Harry Potter themed party should be without acid pops! If you can’t make it to Honeydukes in Hogsmeade, you can make your very own at home (even if you’re a total Muggle when it comes to cooking).
“Fred gave me one when I was seven, it burnt a hole right through my tongue. I can remember Mum walloping him with her broomstick.” – Ron Weasley
While my Muggle version of acid pops aren’t quite as dangerous as their magical counterparts, be wary of the popping pop rocks – one might just hit you right in the eye! I used a simple syrup and honey to adhere the Nerds and Pop Rocks to the lollipops, and when the Pop Rocks get wet, they just might start flying.
Dip the lollipops in honey that’s been warmed for about thirty seconds, the quickly dip the lollipops into Nerds or Pop Rocks. Cover each lollipop as desired – I used the simple syrup on the ‘less intense’ pops. (Shout out to my girl Marisa for the simple syrup and recipe!) If you don’t have the time for a simple syrup, any light honey or even maple syrup will work!
For a Weasley’s Wizard Wheezes version of acid pops, secretly add a dash of hot sauce to one of the lollipops! But you didn’t hear that from me…
Acid Pops | Harry Potter Inspired Recipes
- Warm the honey and simple syrup for thirty seconds in the microwave.
- Unwrap the lollipops and pour the Nerds and Pop Rocks into prep bowls for easy dipping.
- For lollipops with Pop Rocks, thick layers: Dip the end of each lollipop in the warm honey and let excess drip off. Quickly roll the lollipop in the Pop Rocks and use the palm of your handy to gently press the Pop Rocks to the lollipop. Arrange on a plate, then cool for 10 minutes.
- For lollipops with Pop Rocks, light layers: Dip the end of each lollipop in the warmed simple syrup and let any excess drip off. Quickly roll in the Pop Rocks and place on a plate. Cool for 10 minutes.
- For lollipops with Nerds: Dip the end of each lollipop in the warmed honey and let the excess drip off. Roll the lollipop in the Nerds and use the palm of your hand to press the Nerds onto the lollipop. Arrange on a plate and cool for 10 minutes.
- Bring the candies back to room temperature prior to serving. Enjoy while rereading or watching the movies!