Corn casserole in cast iron – all my favorite things!
Whether you’re still cooking on the grill or using an indoor oven to escape the cool autumn air, this corn casserole takes all the best parts of the summer-to-fall transition and turns them into something crazy delicious!
I love to “hack the box” by using ingredients like Jiffy mix and brand name spinach dip to really enhance the flavor of my cream corn casserole. You wouldn’t even know a boxed mix was involved!
Golden hominy adds tons of delicious texture too, making this creamed corn truly unique.
Cast Iron Corn & Spinach Casserole
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 shallot finely diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- 15.5 oz (1 can) golden hominy drained
- 14.5 oz (1 can) roasted golden corn or fresh sweet corn
- 1 ½ cup jarred creamy spinach dip
- 1 box Jiffy cornbread mix
- 1 bag fresh spinach
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Melt the butter in a cast iron skillet over medium high heat. Saute the shallots and garlic until fragrant, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the hominy and corn. Saute until warmed through. Add the spinach and cook until wilted and bright green. Season with salt & pepper to taste.
- In a medium size bowl, stir together the Jiffy mix, spinach dip and Greek yogurt until a thick batter forms. Transfer the sauted corn and spinach mixture to the bowl and stir well to combine.
- Pour the batter back into the cast iron skillet – do not clean out the skillet. Place the skillet into the preheated oven and bake until cooked through in the center, about 30 minutes. A toothpick inserted in the center should come out clean when it is ready. Cool until ready to serve or until the cast iron is cool enough to touch. Enjoy!