I’ve been on the hunt for cheesy potato side dishes that can compliment any main course. Over the weekend, I served up these potatoes with every meal I ate and was pleasantly surprised with how well they went with my mini veal roulade (recipe coming soon!) and then again with breakfast – twice!
Cheesy Potatoes au Gratin
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Thinly slice the potatoes to be about a quarter to a half inch in thickness. I used a mandolin slicer, but this can also be done by hand (it will just take some extra time!)
- Spray a baking dish with cooking oil then arrange the potatoes in the pan so they are just overlapping.
- In a medium frying pan, melt the butter then add the garlic. When the garlic is fragrant, add the flour and whisk constantly.
- Slowly pour in the chicken broth and whisk until a creamy sauce has formed. Add the mayonnaise and heavy cream followed by the cheddar cheese, pepper, and parsley.
- Arrange the sliced onions on top of the potato as a second layer. Pour half of the creamy sauce over the potatoes and onions. Arrange another layer of potatoes then pour the remaining cheese sauce over the top.
- Bake for one hour. Remove at the hour mark and sprinkle a generous amount of the cheddar cheese over the top of the baked potatoes, then return to the oven for an additional 10 minutes. Serve while hot for a great side dish to any meal. Enjoy!