Is there a better season than soup season?
Packed with cheesy tortellini, this weeknight soup is the perfect way to keep the winter blues at bay.
I found prepacked tortellini at my grocery near the produce and deli (though double check your freezer section if you can’t find them fresh at your store!).
You can totally make your own tortellini from scratch if you’re about that life – but over in my kitchen, we like to live on easy street!
Cheesy Tortellini Soup
- 16 oz mixed cheese tortellini
- 1 sweet onion sliced thin
- 2 jalapenos seeds removed & sliced
- 1 orange bell pepper chopped
- 9 oz chopped spinach
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons garlic minced
- 16 oz (1 can) Great Northern Beans (white beans) drained
- 14 oz diced tomatoes
- ½ cup sweet corn
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3 chicken breasts cooked & roughly chopped
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese grated
- In a large pot over medium high heat, melt one tablespoon of butter. Sear the chicken breasts on both sides until cooked through – about 5-6 minutes per side. When cooked, remove the chicken from the pot chop the chicken into bite size pieces
- Without cleaning the pot, add the remaining butter and then toss in the onions. Sauté until tender, about 5-8 minutes then add the jalapeno, bell pepper, garlic, beans, diced tomato and corn. Sauté for another 5-10 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken broth and frozen spinach. Bring the soup to a rolling boil, stirring occasionally until the spinach has broken up and warmed through.
- Reduce the heat to a low simmer and stir in the heavy cream and Parmesan cheese. Return the cooked chicken to the pot and simmer for another 5 minutes, until the chicken is heated through. Serve with a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese and enjoy!