It’s officially grilling season! Well, almost. Time to break in the grill with this incredibly delicious barbecued shrimp flatbread.
Cooked directly on the grill, this flatbread pizza is topped with homemade BBQ sauce and ginger marinated shrimp – plus a few fresh veggies like red peppers and broccoli.
Yes, there is broccoli on this pizza – and it’s flippin’ delicious!
The grill adds an amazing char to the flatbread; but if you don’t have an outdoor grill handy, you can totally make this dish on a pizza stove or on a sheet pan in your indoor oven instead.
Grilled Ginger Shrimp BBQ Flatbread
FOR SHRIMP MARINADE:
FOR PIZZA & TOPPINGS:
- In a small bowl, combine the ingredients for the shirmp marinade. Separate about a half cup into a small bowl and set aside. Pour the remaining marinade over the shrimp and marinate for at least one hour or overnight.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the ricotta and lemon juice. Set aside to chill.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the BBQ sauce, ginger, parsley, honey and olive oil. Chill for one hour to develop flavor.
- Preheat a skillet over medium high heat. Melt the butter until frothy then saute the red bell pepper and onion until tender, about 5 minutes. Set aside. In the same skillet, flash saute the broccoli for 1-2 minutes in the remaining butter until it has brightened in color.
- Preheat the grill to 425 F. Unroll the flatbread dough onto a pizza peel and brush with melted butter and the reserved marinade. Flip the flatbread so that it is butter side down.
- Working quickly, brush the flatbread dough with the BBQ sauce, remaining reserved marinade, dollops of the ricotta cheese, raw shrimp and the sauted veggies. Sprinkle the shredded mozzarella on top.
- Carefully transfer the flatbread to the grill by sliding the dough from the pizza peel.
- Close the grill and cook for 3-8 minutes, until the flatbread is puffed up and the shrimp is cooked on top. Use tongs to carefully transfer the cooked pizza to a clean pizza peel or heat proof cutting board.
- Drizzle the cooked flatbread with olive oil and balsamic vinegar, as desired. Cut and serve warm. Enjoy!