Had I known about grilled PB&Js growing up, my mother would have heard nothing but requests for it – especially since she wasn’t a great cook, so PB&Js and grilled cheeses were already a staple in our diets. Sorry mom, but you know it’s true.
There’s something magical about the combination of warm, toasty bread, creamy peanut butter, and sweet jelly that makes grilled peanut butter and jelly sandwiches an absolute delight. If you’re a fan of the classic grilled cheese sandwich, then making a grilled PB&J is a no-brainer. It’s a simple twist that takes your childhood favorite to a whole new level of deliciousness.
The beauty of grilled PB&Js lies in their versatility. You can use any type of jelly or jam you prefer. Whether it’s tangy raspberry, sweet strawberry, or classic grape, the choice is yours. In my case, I somehow ended up with a boyfriend who prefers strawberry jelly over grape. Well, I guess love knows no bounds, even when it comes to sandwich preferences.
Here’s What You Need
- White or wheat bread: The base of the sandwich, providing structure and texture.
- Jelly of choice: Adds sweetness and fruity flavor to complement the peanut butter.
- Peanut butter: Creamy and nutty spread that pairs perfectly with the jelly.
- Butter: Melts in the pan to create a delicious, crispy exterior for the sandwich.
Let’s Jump Into It
To get started, simply whip up your peanut butter and jelly sandwiches to your liking!
You can spread the peanut butter and jelly on one slice each or slather them generously on both slices, depending on your preference for that gooey, melty goodness.
Next, heat a pan over medium heat and melt some butter in it. The butter adds a rich flavor and helps create that crispy, golden crust we all crave. Once the butter has melted, carefully place your sandwich in the pan. Listen to the sizzle as the bread hits the heat, and watch as the flavors meld together.
Now, here’s a pro tip to take your grilled PB&J to the next level of deliciousness: right before you flip the sandwich, add another tablespoon of butter to the pan.
This ensures that each side of the sandwich gets an equal amount of buttery crispiness, resulting in a perfectly golden brown exterior.
Grill the sandwich until it turns that irresistible shade of golden brown. The heat will transform the bread into a toasty, slightly crunchy shell that encases the warm, melty peanut butter and jelly. The flavors will meld together, and each bite will offer a delightful contrast of textures and tastes.
- Spread the ingredients evenly: When assembling the sandwich, make sure to spread the peanut butter and jelly evenly across the bread. This ensures a consistent flavor in every bite.
- Use low heat for even cooking: To prevent the bread from burning or becoming too crispy before the insides are heated through, cook the sandwich over low to medium heat. This allows the heat to penetrate evenly.
- Don’t skimp on butter: Butter plays a crucial role in creating a golden, crispy crust. Make sure to use enough butter in the pan and consider adding an extra tablespoon right before flipping the sandwich for extra crispiness.
- Flip carefully: When it’s time to flip the sandwich, do it gently to avoid any fillings spilling out. A wide spatula or two spatulas can help with this process.
- Customize and experiment: Feel free to get creative with your grilled PB&J sandwiches! Add slices of banana, sprinkle some cinnamon, or even drizzle a touch of honey for added flavor and texture.
- Let the sandwich rest before cutting: After removing the sandwich from the pan, allow it to rest for a minute or two before cutting it. This helps the fillings settle and avoids them oozing out too much when you slice it.
- Serve with a side: Grilled PB&J sandwiches make a fantastic meal on their own, but if you want to enhance the experience, consider pairing them with a side of chips, fresh fruit, or a cold glass of milk.
- Adjust cooking time: Cooking times may vary depending on your stove’s heat settings and the thickness of your bread. Keep an eye on the sandwiches and adjust the cooking time accordingly to achieve your desired level of crispness.
Once your grilled PB&J is ready, it’s best to serve it immediately while it’s still hot. However, do exercise caution if you’re handing it over to a child, as the insides will be piping hot and can cause burns if not allowed to cool slightly.
So Hungry People, the next time you’re craving a nostalgic and satisfying treat, give grilled peanut butter and jelly sandwiches a try. They’re quick, easy, and oh-so-delicious. Whether you’re making them for yourself or sharing them with the hungry people in your life, these grilled sandwiches are sure to bring smiles and satisfy those cravings for something familiar, yet delightfully different.
Grilled Peanut Butter & Jelly
- 4 slices white or wheat bread
- 4 tablespoons jelly of choice
- 4 tablespoons peanut butter
- 4 tablespoons butter + more as needed
- Prepare each sandwich by spreading 1 tablespoon of peanut butter and 1 tablespoon of jelly on a slice of bread. Place another slice of bread on top to make a sandwich.
- In a pan over medium heat, melt the 4 tablespoons of butter.
- Place one sandwich into the melted butter and cook for about 2 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.
- Repeat the process with the remaining sandwiches, adding more butter to the pan as needed.
- Serve the grilled peanut butter and jelly sandwiches immediately. CAUTION: Insides will be HOT!