Halloween GRUB Salad
The Starving Chef is supported by Hungry People like you. When you make a purchase through an affiliate link on my site, I may earn a little bit of cash on the side (at no extra cost to you) to help keep my kitchen running. Read our disclosures here.
It’s Halloween week which means my kitchen is full of all things creepy crawly – this salad just so happens to be infested with GRUBS!
If you are looking for a unique salad topping for Halloween, there’s no need to go digging in your garden for bugs.
Slimy, yet Satisfying
These nightmarish bugs only LOOK disgusting.
- bloomed gelatin – to keep the creepy crawlies together
- broccoli – steamed for easy blending
- peas – for added flavoring
- cranberries – add some TWANG to the grubs
- parmesan cheese – for some cheesiness
You might also find it helpful to have the following tools handy:
- bug molds – like these that you can get on Amazon (affiliate link)
- pipettes – easily fill the molds
- blender or food processor – to really get the colors dispersed evenly
All the Salad Fixin’s
How you build your salad for your grubs to live in is up to you! For my salad, I used a basic salad mix I got bagged at the grocery store. But feel free to chop up your own greens if you feel so inclined!
For my other toppings I used crunchy bits like fried beets, onions and carrots. You can also customize your dressing to your preferences as well – I used a spicy ranch dressing on mine.
This is a simplified version of THIS grub salad from EatTheDead.com – theirs are way cooler than mine turned out!
Halloween GRUB Salad
- 1 packet gelatin + boiled water for blooming
- ½ cup broccoli steamed
- ½ cup peas steamed
- 5 dried cranberries optional
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan
- ½ cup water + more as needed
- 1 bag salad mix
- your favorite salad dressing for topping
- carrots for topping
- tomatoes for topping
- fried red beets for topping
- fried onions for topping
- your favorite salad toppings!
- Bloom the gelatin in boiling water according to the instructions on the packaging. Steam the broccoli and peas according to the instructions on the packages.
- In a blender or food processor, combine the steamed broccoli, peas, parmesan and cranberries. Pulse until blended then add the water and bloomed gelatin and blend until smooth. You may need to add a few extra tablespoons of water in order for the blend to be smooth.
- Use a pipette to fill the molds. Chill until gelatin is set, at least one hour. While the gelatin sets, prepare the salads and toppings. Pop out the grubs and serve on top of the salads. Happy Halloween!