I love me some chicken nuggies! Who knew they were so easy to make at home??
I love to take advantage of the random sales on meat at my local grocery store. When I get lucky, I can nab some ground chicken on the cheap.
Initially, I was going to remake my favorite chicken parmesan stuffed meatballs but had a stroke of genius (aka laziness) midway through the process and decided to try my hand at something new: baked chicken nuggets.
If you put these nuggets side-by-side with some frozen bagged ones, you may not know the difference. I served mine with sriracha ketchup and Carolina BBQ sauce for some twang!
Homemade Chicken Nuggets
- Preheat the oven to 375 F. In a large bowl, combine one egg with the ground chicken. Mix until the egg is completely incorporated into the ground chicken.
- Measure about 2 tablespoons of the ground chicken into small ball shapes. Gently flatten to be about a half inch thick.
- Separate the remaining eggs (whisked), flour and bread crumbs into separate bowls. Stir the garlic powder, onion powder and salt into the bread crumbs.
- Dredge the ground chicken first in flour, then in whisked egg, then in breadcrumbs. Repeat as desired for thicker breading around the ground chicken.
- Arrange the breaded chicken onto a baking sheet lined with silicone or greased foil. Bake the chicken for 15-20 minutes, flipping midway through, until the chicken nuggets are golden brown. Serve with your favorite dipping sauces and enjoy!