I love taking your run-of-the-mill recipes and transforming them into something completely different – like these jalapeno cornbread DOUGHNUTS!
Yes, you read that title correctly. These delicious cornbread doughnuts are spiked with jalapenos to give them a nice kick of heat.
As an added bonus, they are totally dippale which makes them the perfect accompaniment for chilis, soups and more!
But even if you don’t have a chili, you can still dip ’em in something delicious! I made a quick lime sour cream side dip – just in case.
I mean seriously, why aren’t these a thing everywhere!?
Jalapeno Cornbread Doughnuts
- 1 box Jiffy cornbread mix
- 4 tablespoons butter melted
- ¼ cup flour
- ⅓ cup milk
- ½ cup roasted corn drained
- 1 jalapeno finely diced
- 4 tablespoons butter sliced
FOR SOUR LIME CREMA:
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. In a small skillet over medium high heat, melt 1/2 stick of butter until it is frothy and just beginning to brown. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, stir together the Jiffy mix, flour, milk, roasted corn and jalapeno until a thick batter forms. Stir in the melted butter.
- Transfer the batter to a large/gallon baggie or piping bag. Snip the tip of the bag and pipe the batter into doughnut tin or silicone doughnut mold.
- Place the sliced butter around the edges of the batter, about 1-2 pats per doughnut. Bake for 15-20 minutes until the doughnuts are golden brown. Let cool in the tin for at least 15-20 minutes before turning out the doughnuts.
- In a small bowl, combine 1/2 cup sour cream with 1 tablespoon lime juice for a tangy dip. Serve on the side of cornbread donuts at room temperature. The cornbread will set as it cools. Enjoy!