Today we’re making no yeast, no rise bagels. Who knew 2020 would be the year of the yeast shortage – and the resurgence of home baking from scratch. If you can’t find yeast, these bagels do perfectly well without it!
Flour has been another casualty of the pandemic, but you can bake these bagels with the cheapest all purpose flour you can find.
Whatever wheat flour you can find during these times will work!
i’m going to go ahead and consider this a quarantine work out because you’ll need to work your dough until it is nice and elastic.
This process will take about 10 minutes and really gets your upper body pumping.
Let the bagels cool for at least 15 minutes prior to cutting for the optimal cutting experience – or better yet, let the bagels cool overnight to bring out the classic bagel chewiness.
Baking bagels has quickly become my favorite quarantine activity. I like to toss mine in a toaster for a few minutes to get them nice and crispy before adding a schmear of cream cheese.
No Yeast, No Rise DIY Bagels
FOR EVERYTHING BAGEL TOPPING:
- ¼ cup old fashioned oats
- 1 tablespoon dried minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, Greek yogurt and sea salt until a thick, sticky dough forms. Add the warm water as needed to form the dough.
- Dust a flat surface with the remaining flour. Turn out the dough and begin to knead, adding more flour as needed for dusting. Knead for about 10 minutes, until a smooth and elastic dough forms. Cover and rest for one hour at room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 375 F. Cut the dough into 8 even sized dough balls. Using your thumb, press through the center of each ball and work the dough into a ring shape.
- Arrange the bagels on a baking sheet lined with parchment or a silicone mat. In a small bowl, whisk together the water and egg. Brush each bagel with the egg wash so that the top and sides are covered.
- In another bowl, combine the ingredients for the everything bagel topping. Sprinkle over the tops of each bagel, as desired.
- Bake the bagels for 30-40 minutes, until golden brown and puffed up. Let cool completely before slicing. Spread on your favorite cream cheese or add your favorite sandwich ingredients. Enjoy!