Oreo Cream Banana Bread
The Starving Chef is supported by Hungry People like you. When you make a purchase through an affiliate link on my site, I may earn a little bit of cash on the side (at no extra cost to you) to help keep my kitchen running. Read our disclosures here.
This is the ultimate banana bread recipe. No ifs, ands or buts about it.
Who can resist a banana bread packed with Oreo cookie bits, creamy pockets of sweet neufchatel cheese and peanut butter chips – that is then topped with even more Oreo crumbles and crunchy demerara sugar?
Not me, that’s for sure.
This recipe actually came about during the early days of quarantine, where I had nothing else to do but experiment with whatever ingredients I could find in my kitchen. I certainly wasn’t heading to the grocery store for fresh bananas!
This decadent banana bread came about by pure happenstance. I had a bag of Oreo crumbles, neufchatel cheese and overripe bananas. And as if I were living in an episode of “Chopped,” I decided naturally the best thing to bake was a dessert-y banana bread!
Here’s What You Need
Everyone has a basic banana bread recipe handy – but the ingredients in this one take it to the next level.
- overripe bananas – brown bananas are perfect for banana bread because they are extra sweet and creamy
- flour & brown sugar – ingredients you will always find in traditional banana bread
- butter, eggs & baking soda – helps to give the “bread” some rise
- plain Greek yogurt – helps to create a moist batter
- Oreo cookie crumbles – you can make your own or buy a pre-crushed bag (affiliate link) – isn’t the future fun?
- neufchatel cheese – sweet cream cheese is preferred in this recipe, for both sweet and savory notes
- peanut butter chips – to be honest, I just found these in my pantry but their addition makes all the difference in flavor – a happy accident!
Batter & Bake
Once you’ve made your extra THICC banana batter, I recommend greasing two bread loaf pans and lining the bottom and sides with parchment paper. This will help to get the banana bread out of the pans once it’s been baked.
Another tip? Be sure to let the banana bread cool 100% before attempting to remove it from the pan. Otherwise, the bread may not be fully set and it will crumble apart.
I sliced my bread and then toasted the slices in my toaster oven to get the peanut butter chips and neufchatel cheese nice and melted.
Oreo Cream Banana Bread
- bread pans
- 3 overripe bananas mashed
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup brown sugar packed
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup butter melted
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ⅓ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup crushed Oreo cookies + more for topping
- 6 oz neufchatel cheese or can sub sweet cream cheese, cut into cubes
- ½ cup peanut butter chips
- ¼ cup demerara sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and line two bread loaf pans and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the bananas, yogurt, flour, brown sugar and butter. Then stir in the baking soda, cookie crumbles and egg. Stir until just combined, do not over mix.
- Pour the batter evenly between the loaf pans. Press cubes of neufchatel cheese into the batter – some deep and some on top of the batter. Sprinkle on the cookie crumbles and demerara sugar as desired.
- Bake for 60 minutes, or until the center of each loaf is puffed up and cooked through. Remove from the oven and leave in the pans until 100% cooled before attempting to remove or slice bread. Serve and enjoy!