Here’s a recipe for your pet! Starring the one and only: Theo Burrito.
These simple doggy treats are made with healthy ingredients like crunchy peanut butter and bananas. My own puppy, Theodore, was my helpful, hairy sous chef. He’s generally not a food driven dog (thankfully) but once he tasted them, he started rejecting his usual store bought bones in favor for these.
When selecting ingredients, use only natural and organic peanut butter with no xylitol. Theo enjoys his bones with bananas, but sweet potato can be substituted as well. These treats are people friendly, though not very tasty to us, so I recommend sharing these bones with the pooch (or other small mammal) only.
Peanut Butter and Banana Dog Treats
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. In a large bowl combine the peanut butters, banana, egg, honey, and water. Beat until smooth.
- Add the baking soda and two cups of flour to the mixture and stir until a thick, sticky dough forms. Use your hands to knead the dough, adding flour as needed until a firm, smooth dough forms. If it's too sticky, add more flour – alternatively, if the dough is too dry, add more water, as needed.
- Flatten the dough and use a rolling pin to roll it out to be about a half inch thick. Use a bone shaped cookie cutter to form the cookies.
- Arrange the cookies on a baking sheet about a half inch to an inch apart. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until the cookies are puffed up and golden brown.
- Let the treats cool completely before serving to your pup. Now – Sit! Good dog.