What’s Up, Hungry People!
Today’s post is a special shout-out to our four-legged family members, particularly my little furball, Theo Burrito. Let’s show our pets some love with my latest recipe: “Peanut Butter and Banana Dog Treats Your Pup Will Woof Down!”
These simple doggy treats are made with healthy ingredients like crunchy peanut butter and bananas. My own puppy, Theodore, was my helpful, hairy sous chef. He’s generally not a food driven dog (thankfully) but once he tasted them, he started rejecting his usual store bought bones in favor for these.
Here’s What You Need
- Creamy Peanut Butter: Adds flavor and healthy fats. Helps bind the ingredients together for a smooth dough.
- Crunchy Peanut Butter: Provides texture and flavor depth. Also contributes to the binding of the dough.
- Ripened Banana: Natural sweetener that adds moisture and is easily digestible for dogs.
- Egg: Works as a binding agent and provides protein, making the treats more nutritious for your pup.
- Local Honey: Adds a touch of sweetness and can have the added benefit of being good for allergies when using local sources.
- Water: Helps to combine all the ingredients into a workable dough and can adjust the dough’s consistency.
- Baking Powder: Helps the treats rise, giving them a light and fluffy texture.
- Flour: The main structure of the treats, it creates the body and bulk, making the treats firm yet chewable.
When selecting ingredients, use only natural and organic peanut butter with no xylitol. Theo enjoys his bones with bananas, but sweet potato can be substituted as well. These treats are people friendly, though not very tasty to us, so I recommend sharing these bones with the pooch (or other small mammal) only.
The Bones of the Recipe
Believe it or not, these treats aren’t just for dogs. They’re safe for humans too! However, let me be real: they’re not going to tickle your taste buds like they do for your pet. So, reserve these tasty bones for your pooch or any other small mammal you might have scurrying around your home.
Tips & Tricks
- Texture Matters: The type of peanut butter you choose will impact the texture of the treats. Crunchy peanut butter gives these treats some nice texture that dogs seem to love.
- Size It Right: The size of the treats should match the size of your dog. For smaller pups like Theo, I make mini treats so he doesn’t overindulge.
- Fresh or Frozen: These treats are great either fresh or frozen. If your dog likes a chilly treat, pop ’em in the freezer!
- Know Your Oven: Every oven is different. Keep an eye on the treats to avoid burning. A little golden brown is what we’re aiming for.
- Storage: Keep these in an airtight container to maintain freshness. They’ll last about a week, if your pup doesn’t gobble them all up first!
And there you have it, Hungry People! With just a few simple ingredients, you can whip up a batch of wholesome treats that your pup will happily chow down on. Give it a try and let me know what you and your four-legged family members think!
Peanut Butter and Banana Dog Treats
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. In a large bowl, combine the creamy and crunchy peanut butters, banana, egg, honey, and water. Beat the mixture until smooth.
- Add the baking powder and two cups of flour to the mixture. Stir until a thick, sticky dough forms. Use your hands to knead the dough, adding more flour as needed until a firm, smooth dough forms. If the dough is too sticky, add more flour. Alternatively, if the dough is too dry, add more water as needed.
- Flatten the dough and use a rolling pin to roll it out to about half an inch thick. Use a bone-shaped cookie cutter to form the cookies.
- Arrange the cookies on a baking sheet, spacing them about half an inch to an inch apart. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until the cookies have puffed up and turned golden brown.
- Let the treats cool completely before serving them to your pup. Now – Sit! Good dog.