For this quick recipe, I made a simple peanut butter cookie crust then topped it with a peanut butter buttercream frosting and a jelly glaze swirl.
I used grape jelly in my version, but your favorite jelly or jam will work. It’s a classic dish with a dessert twist!
Peanut Butter & Jelly Cookie Bars
FOR COOKIE CRUST:
FOR PEANUT BUTTER BUTTERCREAM:
FOR JELLY GLAZE:
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- ¼ cup favorite grape or strawberry jelly
- 3 tablespoons water
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Cream together the sugars, shortening, chunky peanut butter, egg, and 1/4 cup butter until smooth.
- Add the flour 1/4 cup at a time and mix until combined. On the last quarter cup of flour, add the baking powder, baking soda, and salt then stir until combined.
- Grease a glass baking pan with cooking oil then spread the cookie dough across the pan in an even layer. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Let cookie crust cool completely.
- In a small bowl, whip together the creamy peanut butter, confectioners sugar and butter until smooth. Spread the buttercream across the top of the cooled cookie crust.
- Whisk together the jelly, remaining confectioners sugar and water until a thin jelly glaze is formed. pour the glaze over the top of the buttercream.
- Use a knife to swirl the glaze into the buttercream until the glaze is streaks through the buttercream. Chill for at least two hours or until the jelly glaze is set.
- Cut into evenly sized bars. Serve chilled or room temperature. Enjoy!