It’s time to power up your next hike with protein-infused granola! This week I partnered with AmBari Nutrition to infuse homemade granola with protein. Along with AmBari’s snack pack variety box, this trail mix is packed with protein to keep you moving on your next trail blazing adventure.
The granola itself follows the basic rules for DIY granola: start with oats, protein, oil, honey and juice. For my trail mix I used AmBari Nutrition’s French Vanilla protein powder, coconut oil and orange juice – though you can substitute the OJ with other juices like apple juice or grape juice. Basically, the OJ adds a touch of acidity and helps bring out the flavor of the protein even more.
To ensure you get crispy granola, be sure to roast your oats on low temp and stir them every 20-30 minutes to prevent any burning. When mine were already pretty crisp, I turned off the oven BUT I left the granola in to continue to dry out over the course of about an hour. This method produced the crunchiest granola I’ve ever had – and I absolutely LOVED it!
AmBari Nutrition’s snack pack variety box adds a punch of crispy flavors (and even more protein!). For this trail mix I used BBQ Crispy O’s – which were straight up addicting – Tasty Bits party mix and pizza flavors and cinna-crunch ‘n’ chocolate bits. Plus, to really drive home the trail mix flavor, I added some of my own flair with dried pineapple and apricot and some candy-coated chocolates.
Protein enhanced diets have many benefits. Not only does protein help you feel fuller – and therefore reduces the urge to snack between meals – it can help you lose weight by replacing “empty” and sugar-y calories with the protein your body needs. I’m using AmBari proteins to supplement my diet while I lose weight for our upcoming wedding!
Are you using protein to lose weight? What’s your favorite way to add a protein boost to your daily caloric budget?
Let us know in the comments below!
Protein Granola Trail Mix | AmBari Nutrition
- 2 packages AmBari Nutrition brand French vanilla protein powder
- 3 cups quick cooking oats
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil melted
- 2 tablespoons honey melted
- ½ cup pecans roughly crushed
- ½ cup orange juice or apple juice or grape juice
- 1 package AmBari Nutrition Tiny Bites Party Mix
- 1 package AmBari Nutrition Tiny Bites Pizza Flavor
- 1 package AmBari Nutrition Cinna-Crunch 'n' Chocolate Bits
- 1 packahe AmBari Nutrition Crunchy O's BBQ flavor
- Preheat the oven to 225 F. In a large bowl, stir together the oats, protein powder and pecans. Then stir in the melted coconut oil and honey until the mixture is clumpy. Next, stir in the juice. Mix until the oats are saturated.
- Spread the oats into an even layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment or a silicone mat. Bake for 1.5 hours, stirring every 30 minutes, until the oats are crispy. If the oats are still soft, continue cooking for an additional 30-45 minutes. Turn off the oven but leave the oats in the oven to cool for optimal crunchiness.
- When the oats are back to room temperature, break them up with a wooden spoon and transfer to a large bowl. Stir in the Tiny Bites, Cinna-Crunch bits, and Crunchy O’s. Mix in the candy-coated chocolates and dried fruits as desired. Stir gently until the mixture addins are well-dispersed. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Enjoy while hiking or while out on your next adventure.