It’s pumpkin season, which means I’m putting it in pretty much everything – including cookies. These cookies contain no eggs or milk and are vegan, and use whole wheat flour. I accidentally used butter in the video recipe, though coconut oil can be substituted for butter if you are truly going for a 100% vegan cookie.
Pumpkin Spice Cookies with Maple Syrup Icing
- In a small bowl, beat together the butter, white and brown sugar,and pumpkin. Stir in the nutmeg, cloves, and cinnamon.
- Add the flour one cup at a time, stirring between each new addition. Stir in the baking powder and salt. Cover the bowl and chill dough for one hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Measure about two tablespoons of dough in the palm of your hand and roll into a ball. Arrange the dough balls on a parchment or silicone lined baking sheet.
- Dust the bottom of a glass with flour. Gently press each dough ball flat, until they are about a half inch thick. Pop the baking sheet into the oven and bake for ten minutes, or until golden brown.
- While the cookies are baking, use a hand mixer to beat together the melted butter and maple syrup. Slowly add powdered sugar until a thick icing forms. It should be stingy but not clumpy.
- Cool the cookie completely. Use the back of a spoon to spread the icing on the top of each cookie. Decorate with fall themed sprinkles. Enjoy!