Avocados have been on super sales the last few weeks at all my local grocery stores. It’s so hard to resist grabbing a few when they are marked down to a dollar each!
Lately I’ve been trying to keep dinner to something quick and simple – anything that can be made in less than twenty minutes, I am ALL over. I did roast the garlic ahead of time by popping it in the oven about an hour before I wanted to eat and it worked out perfectly. Very little effort is needed to roast garlic anyways!
The star of this dish is the tangy avocado sauce. Made with roasted garlic and then poured generously over shrimp and pasta. It’s dirt cheap and delicious!
Roasted Garlic & Avocado Shrimp Pasta
- Preheat the oven to 425 F. Cut off the top of the head of garlic so that the cloves are exposed. Drizzle with olive oil and wrap tightly in foil. Bake for one hour then let cool. Remove the skins when cooled.
- Heat 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Season the shrimp with salt and pepper. Cook in the oil for 2-3 minutes until the shrimp are pink and cooked through. Set aside but do not clean the skillet.
- Fill a pot with water (the amount specified on the box, depending on what kind of pasta you are making). Bring to a rapid boil then add the noodles and cook according to the side of the box.
- While the water is coming to a boil, cut open the avocados and remove the pits. Scoop the flesh into a food processor or blender. Add the lemon juice, roasted garlic, half of the green onion and a tablespoon of red pepper flakes. Pulse until blended.
- Take about a fourth cup of the hot pasta water and add it to the food processor with the avocado mixture. Blend until smooth.
- Add the remaining olive oil and the tomatoes to the skillet over medium heat. Saute until the tomatoes have lost most of their excess moisture. Drain the noodles and add to the skillet, over low heat. Season with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes, to taste.
- Either mix in the avocado sauce or pour it over the top of the noodles. Let the sauce heat through. Garnish with the remaining green onion and red pepper flakes. Serve hot, right away and enjoy!