If only I had known how easy these things were to make in college, as if pizza in some way, shape or form wasn’t already about 97% of my diet. These homemade pizza rolls – or mini pizza pockets – are made with a simple blend of spicy sausage and pizza sauce. They are fun to make and bake.
All you’ll need are your favorite pizza sauce, mozzarella cheese, some type of ground spicy sausage, and a Pilsbury Crescent Dough Sheet. I used hot Italian sausage, then used a blender to grind it up further to reach that classic pizza roll texture. That part is totally optional, as it doesn’t really effect the taste, as much as it effects the mouthfeel.
Cook the sausage until it crumbles, then stir it together with the pizza sauce.
Stretch the dough out on a cutting board and pull it on all sides to make it slightly larger and thinner. Make one cut down the center of the sheet, then cut the dough across leaving rectangles of dough about 2×3 inches in size.
Use a tablespoon to measure out portions of the sausage filling onto the center of each rectangle. Cover the filling with mozzarella cheese, then fold the other side of the dough over the filling, creating a pocket. Pinch the edges closed.
Arrange the pizza pockets on a baking sheet and cook for 10-13 minutes, or until heated through and beginning to brown.
I served mine with an extra serving of warm pizza sauce. It’s a perfect (and cheap) dinner night for any lazy days of the week.
Simple Homemade Pizza Pockets
- 1 can sheet dough or pizza dough
- ¼ cup spicy Italian ground sausage
- 1 cup pizza sauce + more for dippng
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Cook and crumble the sausage in a large skillet over medium high heat. (Optional: use a food processor to chop the sausage further to achieve a smoother filling.)
- Stir the cooked sausage together with the pizza sauce.
- Spread the sheet dough out on a cutting board. Cut into 12 rectangles.
- Place a tablespoon of filling in the center of each rectangle and top with about a tablespoon of cheese. Fold the dough in half, creating a pocket. Pinch the edges together.
- Arrange the pizza pockets onto a baking sheet. Bake for 10-13 minutes, or until the pizza pockets are beginning to brown and have cooked through. Serve with an extra side of pizza sauce and enjoy!