What’s up, Hungry People!
What’s up, Hungry People! Let’s cook up a fantastic side dish that will leave you craving more: Parmesan potatoes! As someone who lives in a “one oven” household, I understand the struggle of timing cooking around big meals, especially during the holidays. But fear not, because I have a trick up my sleeve that will save the day.
Are you ready?
We’re going to use the slow cooker as a roaster to achieve perfect “oven roasted” potatoes in just a few simple steps.
The Slow Cooker Magic
During past Thanksgiving festivities, I discovered this fantastic hack that transformed my slow cooker into a roasting wonder. It’s so simple and convenient, you’ll wonder why you haven’t tried it before. Plus, it’s a great way to free up your oven for other dishes.
Here’s What You Need
- Rainbow roasting potatoes: The main ingredient, providing the base for the dish.
- Garlic: Adds a robust and aromatic flavor to the potatoes.
- Butter: Enhances richness and adds a creamy texture to the dish.
- Olive oil: Coats the potatoes, helping to crisp and brown them.
- Cayenne pepper: Adds a subtle kick of heat and spice.
- Oregano: Provides a savory and earthy flavor to the potatoes.
- Parsley: Adds freshness and a hint of herbaceousness to the dish.
- Parmesan cheese: Gives a savory, nutty taste and helps create a flavorful crust.
- Salt and pepper: Seasonings to enhance the overall taste of the dish.
- Cooking spray: Prevents sticking and helps achieve a crispy texture.
To start, gather your ingredients. I recommend using extra small rainbow roasting potatoes, which have recently become abundant at my local grocery store. They add a vibrant touch to the dish and taste absolutely delicious!
Now, for the seasonings, we need to create a flavorful blend. In a bowl, mix together cayenne, onion powder, garlic, parsley, and oregano.
But here’s the secret ingredient: a generous scoop of finely grated Parmesan cheese.
I personally love using Kraft Grated Parmesan for this step because it has a seemingly high ‘melting point,’ ensuring that the potatoes won’t stick to the inside of the crock pot.
Next, toss the potatoes and seasonings in some olive oil until they are nicely coated. Place the potato mixture into the crock pot and dot with butter for an extra touch of richness. Cover the slow cooker and let the magic happen!
The Waiting Game
This is the part where a little patience goes a long way. Set your slow cooker to high heat and let the potatoes roast for approximately 2-3 hours. If you’re not in a rush, you can opt for low heat and let them cook for 4-5 hours. The cooking time may vary depending on the size of your potatoes, so keep an eye on them.
To ensure even cooking, give the potatoes a gentle stir every 45 minutes or so. This will help them cook evenly and infuse all the flavors into every bite.
Tips for Slow Cooking Potatoes
- Choosing the right potatoes: Look for small rainbow roasting potatoes for this recipe, as they roast well and provide a nice texture.
- Coating the potatoes thoroughly: Make sure to toss the potatoes in olive oil and seasonings until they are evenly coated for consistent flavor in every bite.
- Adjusting spice levels: If you prefer a milder flavor, reduce the amount of cayenne pepper. For extra heat, add a pinch more to suit your taste.
- Don’t skimp on the butter: Dotting the potatoes with butter adds richness and helps in achieving a deliciously golden and crispy exterior.
- Covering the slow cooker: Keeping the slow cooker covered while roasting the potatoes helps to trap the heat and moisture, resulting in tender and flavorful potatoes.
- Stirring the potatoes: Give the potatoes a gentle stir every 45 minutes or so to ensure even cooking and to prevent any sticking.
- Checking for doneness: Test the potatoes by piercing them with a fork. They should be fork-tender and easy to pierce when they are fully cooked.
- Grating fresh Parmesan: While the recipe calls for grated Parmesan cheese, using freshly grated Parmesan will provide the best flavor and texture.
- Serving immediately: Sprinkle the fresh Parmesan over the potatoes right before serving to enjoy its creamy and nutty goodness.
- Experiment with herbs: Feel free to explore different herb combinations like thyme or rosemary, depending on your taste preferences.
It’s Time to Feast!
After the tantalizing aroma has filled your kitchen and your potatoes are softened to perfection, it’s time to serve them up! Sprinkle some fresh Parmesan cheese over the potatoes for an extra burst of flavor and dig in right away. Trust me, you won’t be able to resist!
And there you have it, Hungry People!
A simple yet brilliant way to create mouthwatering Parmesan potatoes using your trusty slow cooker. With this hack in your culinary arsenal, you can effortlessly time your meals and still achieve outstanding results.
So the next time you find yourself juggling oven space during a holiday feast or craving that classic oven roasted goodness, remember this fantastic trick. Your slow cooker will come to the rescue, creating a side dish that will impress your guests and leave you feeling like a culinary genius.
- In a large bowl, toss the potatoes in olive oil, cayenne pepper, onion and garlic powder, oregano, and parsley. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in minced garlic and grated Parmesan.
- Spray the crock pot with cooking spray. Pour the potatoes into the crock pot and dot with butter.
- Roast the potatoes in the crock pot, covered, on high for 2-3 hours (or on low for 4-5 hours) or until the potatoes are fork-tender.
- Sprinkle the potatoes with fresh Parmesan and serve right away. Enjoy!