My sweet tooth is tingling. Whether you are making this for breakfast or dessert, you can stuff this French toast with pretty much anything.
I’ve always loved the flavor of mascarpone cheese – it’s light and buttery, with just a hint of a cheese flavor. It almost reminds me of a homemade butter more than a cheese. Either way, it pairs deliciously with the sweet flavors of strawberries!
You can stuff this French toast with practically anything – the key is to cut the challah bread thick enough so that you have about an inch of breading on either side and create a pocket in the center that doesn’t go all the way through.
Completed with a drizzle of maple syrup or honey, this stuffed French toast is the perfect start to any morning – or the perfect dessert at the end of a long day.
However you decide to serve it, there’s no beating French toast!
Strawberry Mascarpone STUFFED French Toast
- Preheat the oven to 250 F. Cut the bread into 3-4 inch thick slices. Slice a “pocket” in the top of each piece – there should be about a half inch of bread between the sides and bottom of the vertical cut.
- Whisk together the eggs, half and half, honey, cinnamon and salt. Cut the strawberries into thin slices.
- Spread a thin layer of mascarpone in each “pocket” and then stuff with strawberries. Then spread a little bit of mascarpone above the strawberries to “seal” them into the bread slices. Repeat with the remaining slices of bread.
- Grease a frying pan over medium heat with spray oil or butter. Fry two pieces of bread at a time, searing for 3-4 minutes per side. There should be a crispy crust and soft center. Place the cooked slices on a baking sheet and place in the over while you cook the other slices.
- Spread a small bit of mascarpone on top of each slice and serve with fresh strawberries and a drizzle of honey or maple syrup. Enjoy.