If there’s one thing that’s synonymous with summer time, it’s sweet tea. But did you know that it’s much more than just a refreshing drink? The sweeter the tea, the better!
I’m usually not a big tea drinker myself, but many members of my family are, so every so often I’ll end up with a packet or two in my house. If you have bottled sweet tea, that works just the same.
Just let the chicken marinate for at least an hour – longer, or even overnight, is better! I grilled up my chicken then served it on a bed of mixed greens, strawberries, radicchio and an assortment of other fresh veggies. I used my favorite apple cider vinaigrette as my dressing, but feel free to use your personal favorite. Sweet tea chicken goes well with dark greens, red onions, and grated cheeses like Parmesan. However you serve it, it’s always the perfect addition to a warm summer evening.
Sweet Tea Chicken Summer Salad
- 2 chicken breasts
- 2 cups sweet tea
- 1 head romaine or green leaf lettuce chopped
- 1 tomato sliced
- 1 cup carrots shredded
- 5-6 strawberries sliced
- ½ cup red onion chopped
- 1 cup radicchio chopped
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 1 cup croutons optional for topping
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 tablespoons apple cider vinaigrette
- salt & pepper to taste
- Brew the sweet tea and cool, as necessary. If using bottled sweet tea, start from room temperature. Pour two cups of the tea into a bag along with the olive oil and salt and pepper, to taste. Add the chicken to the bag, seal, and marinate for at least one hour or up to 24 hours.
- Grill the chicken for 3-5 minutes per side, until the internal temperature reaches 165 F. Let cool for about fifteen minutes (you can also eat chilled) then cut into slices.
- While the chicken cools, chop the romaine into bite size pieces. Chop the strawberries, red onion, radicchio and tomatoes, as desired. Add everything to a large bowl with the shredded carrots, croutons and Parmesan cheese.
- Gently toss the salad in your desired dressing. Either serve the salad with the chicken strips on top or fold the strips into the salad. Serve on a warm day and enjoy!