The PIZZA from The Goofy Movie
The Starving Chef is supported by Hungry People like you. When you make a purchase through an affiliate link on my site, I may earn a little bit of cash on the side (at no extra cost to you) to help keep my kitchen running. Read our disclosures here.
Pack up your gear for a fishing trip with dad, it’s time to make the famous ooey, gooey pizza from The Goofy Movie.
The 90s were a wild time – if you were alive during the latter half, you might remember the pizza wars that were happening at the time. This pizza frenzy was only further fueled when The Goofy Movie hit theaters and made the most enviable pizza creation ever before seen on television.
Ever since watching this movie at the ripe at of 5 year old, I have craved a pizza that is this cheesy. No delivery places come close to the mountain of mozzarella that must’ve been needed to make this mysterious pizza that was delivered to the Neptune Inn.
And thus, a lifelong need to recreate this pizza was born. And thanks to TikTok and several hundred requests later, it was finally time to make this fabled ‘za for myself.
The Pizza With the Cheeza
Here’s what you need to make your own Goofy movie-inspired pizza at home.
- pizza dough – fresh or homemade is best (not frozen or prepacked/dry)
- butter – clarified or salted will give the biggest boot of flavor
- garlic & onion powder – to enhance the savory notes of the pizza and make a garlicky crust
- Italian seasoning – premade seasonings will have the most consistent flavoring, but feel free to DIY it
- fresh mozzarella – the secret to the perfect cheese-pull
- sliced mozzarella – like the kind you might put on a sandwich, has a lower moisture content than fresh moz
- shredded mozzarella – to make the pizza look more traditional
- pizza sauce – pick your favorite red marinara sauce for topping your dough
- big & mini pepperoni – dual sizes make it look like the pizza seen in the movie
If you have a pizza stone, I highly recommend busting it out for this recipe. Pizzas made in commercial kitchens will use a very high heat oven to slowly cook the pizza to perfection.
At home, this can be recreated with a pizza stone that has been preheated while prepping the pizza. The hotter the stone, the crispier the crust will be on the bottom. It’s important to make sure the oven is hot enough to cook the pizza from the bottom up but not be too hot and start to burn the bubbling cheese on top.
It’s ooey, it’s gooey and it’s loaded with more cheese than Bobby Zimmeruski.
The PIZZA from The Goofy Movie
- pizza stone optional (but recommended for best results)
- Pizza Peel optional (but recommended for best results if using a pizza stone)
- air bake sheet optional (but recommended for best results if you don't have a peel)
- 16 oz raw pizza dough or enough for 10-12 inch pizza
- ¼ cup butter melted
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- ¼ cup pizza sauce
- 8-10 slices sandwich mozzarella
- 8-10 slices fresh mozzarella
- 1 cup fresh mozzarella
- 10-15 pepperoni regular sized
- 10-15 mini pepperoni
- If using a pizza stone, place the stone into the oven and preheat to 450°F. Preheat the pizza stone for one hour. Prep the pizza on a pizza peel dusted with flour or an air-bake pizza sheet.
- Meanwhile, bring the pizza dough to room temperature. Toss or roll out the pizza dough into an even thickness, about ¾ inch thick.
- In a small bowl, melt the butter then whisk in the onion powder, garlic powder and Italian seasoning. Brush the butter from edge to edge of the pizza, making sure to generously coat what will be the crust of the pizza.
- Next, spoon about ¼ cup of your favorite pizza sauce into the center of the pizza dough. Spread the sauce almost all the way to the edges, leaving about an inch exposed for the crust.
- Add the sliced mozzarella, fresh mozzarella and then shredded mozzarella to the pizza. Then place on the pepperonis.
- Transfer the pizza to the preheated oven and bake for 10-15 minutes or until the pizza crust is golden and browned and the cheese is bubbled up and melted.
- Remove the pizza from the oven and cool for 5-10 minutes to fully set the cheese. Slice and serve right away – pizza box optional. Enjoy!