Winter is Coming. In just one week, we will learn the fate of some of our most beloved characters. One character we can all be sure is returning is Melisandre or the Red Woman. A priestess from Asshai, she aids Stannis Baratheon in finding the Lord of the Light – which in this case is definitely not a good thing to find. Predictably, she’ll play a big role in the first episode of season six, titled “The Red Woman.”
Melisandre will be at the Wall when the season resumes, so I couldn’t help but desire to make a cold red velvet trifle in honor of her oh-so-convenient location to one of our heroes. I’ll try not to spoil too much for those who may not be aware of the pretty interesting theory surrounding the fate of Jon Snow, but at least there’s trifle to distract us until we can finally know.
The Red Woman’s Trifle | Game of Thrones Inspired Recipes
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Stir together the ingredients for the cake mix, according to the instructions on the box.
- Spread parchment paper over a baking sheet. Spray with oil to help the cake come off the parchment paper without tearing.
- Pour the cake batter onto the baking sheet and spread into a thin layer (about a half to quarter inch thick) then cook for 15-20 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the cake cool completely.
- While the cake cools, use a hand mixer to beat together the cream cheese, butter, yogurt and powdered sugar. Mix until smooth then chill.
- Select a glass dish to serve the trifle. Then alternate adding layers of red velvet cake and the cream cheese mixture so that the layers can be seen through the sides of the serving dish.
- Chill for at least one hour to allow the cream cheese to set. It should be similar in consistency to thick cheesecake-like pudding. Serve cold while watching Game of Thrones. Enjoy!