What’s Up, Hungry People!
Before we dive a bowl of Ponyo’s ramen, let’s set the stage with the perfect companion – a warm, comforting cup of milk and honey tea. Just like the tender moments in the film, where every little detail adds to the magic, our tea will pave the way for a cozy, heartwarming Ghibli-filled evening.
Ponyo is a captivating tale directed by the legendary Hayao Miyazaki, unfolding the story of an adventurous and spirited goldfish named Ponyo, who dreams of becoming human after forming a heartfelt bond with a kind-hearted boy named Sosuke. Set against a backdrop of stunning visuals and a tapestry of enchanting underwater life, the film explores themes of friendship, harmony with nature, and the transformative power of love, as Ponyo’s desire to live on land disrupts the balance of the world, leading to an adventure-filled journey that brings both challenges and the warmth of genuine connections.
And after dozens of requests to recreate this simple drink over on TikTok, I decided it was high time to dive on in and join Ponyo as a fishy in the sea.
Here’s What You Need:
- Loose leaf tea or bagged tea: Serves as the aromatic base of your drink, setting the overall flavor profile.
- Honey: Adds natural sweetness, balancing the tea’s flavors.
- Whole milk: Provides creaminess and richness, softening the tea’s taste.
- Water: The essential solvent, extracting flavors and aromas from the tea leaves.
Begin with your favorite tea blend; I’m reaching for an orange blossom and lemon tea today, infusing our concoction with a citrusy zing that whispers tales of mystical oceans and enchanting characters. Imagine each steamy sip taking you closer to Ponyo’s magical world, where every flavor tells a story.
Now, it’s time to transform this humble brew into a silky potion. Pour in just enough milk to give your tea a creamy, dreamy texture, reminiscent of the soft, comforting embrace of a familiar scene. The milk swirls and dances with the tea, creating a spectacle in your cup, much like the mesmerizing underwater ballet in Ponyo’s aquatic realm.
But what’s a cozy cup without a touch of sweetness? Drizzle in some honey, golden and rich, adding just the right amount of warmth and sweetness to your brew. As you stir, remember to give that honey spoon a cheeky lick – after all, why let any of that deliciousness go to waste?
Finally, give your concoction a few minutes to cool, allowing the flavors to meld together perfectly. This is your moment to anticipate the comforting flavors, just as the characters in Ponyo anticipate their heartwarming adventures.
Milk and Honey Tea Tips:
- Choosing Your Tea: The type of tea you choose sets the tone for your drink. An orange citrus blend offers a refreshing, tangy note, but feel free to experiment with other flavors like traditional black, calming chamomile, or invigorating green tea. The beauty of this recipe lies in its versatility.
- Balancing Sweetness and Richness: Start with the recommended amount of honey and milk, then adjust according to your taste. If you prefer a sweeter drink, add more honey. For a creamier texture, increase the milk. Remember, it’s all about finding that perfect balance that suits your palate.
- Steeping the Tea: The steeping time is crucial for flavor extraction. Five minutes is a good starting point, but you can adjust this time depending on how strong you like your tea. Less time results in a milder flavor, while more time will give you a stronger, more robust brew.
- Serving Temperature: This tea is best enjoyed steaming hot, especially if it’s accompanying a meal like ramen. The warmth of the tea contrasts nicely with the flavors of your meal, providing a soothing, comforting experience.
As the steam from your cup of milk and honey tea gently rises, imagine you’re looking out over a calm sea, much like the one Ponyo and Sosuke share in their adventures. With each sip, let the warmth remind you of the comfort found in shared moments and simple pleasures.
Just like the bond between our beloved characters, the blend of tea, milk, and honey creates a harmony that’s both soothing and enchanting. So, whether you’re settling in for a movie night with Ponyo or simply seeking a moment of tranquility, this tea is your companion, whispering tales of the sea and inviting you to savor the quiet magic in every cup.
Enjoy, Hungry People, and may your moments be as sweet and fulfilling as Sosuke and Ponyo’s journey together.
Milk Tea from Ponyo
- kettle for boiling water
- teapot for steeping tea
- 4 tablespoons loose leaf tea of choice (I used an orange citrus blend) or can sub bagged tea
- 2 tablespoons honey or to taste
- 4 tablespoons whole milk or to taste
- 4 cups water for boiling
- Boil the water in a kettle. Then pour the boiling water into the teapot with tea leaves or into mugs with tea bags.
- Allow the tea to steep undisturbed for 5 minutes.
- Stir in whole milk and honey as desired. Adjust the quantities to suit your taste.
- Serve while steaming hot, ideally before enjoying your ramen and ham. Enjoy!