Please do not adjust your monitor. These potatoes ARE purple. And they are freaking DELICIOUS. I mean, if you like potatoes, you will like these spiffy spuds.
Making Purple Mashed Potatoes
Together, these ingredients create a delicious and visually stunning mashed potato dish.
- Purple potatoes: the star ingredient that gives the mashed potatoes their vibrant color and unique flavor
- Milk: used to make the mashed potatoes creamier and easier to blend
- Garlic: adds a subtle savory flavor to the dish
- Sour cream: adds tanginess and creaminess to the mashed potatoes
- Butter: provides richness and flavor to the mashed potatoes
- Fresh chives: adds a mild onion-like flavor and a pop of green color as a garnish
- Fresh parsley: adds a fresh and bright flavor and a pop of green color as a garnish.
Putting it All Together:
Making purple mashed potatoes is really quite simple!
- Clean your purple potatoes and cut them into chunks if they are large.
- Boil the potatoes in a pot of water until they are soft.
- Drain the potatoes and let them cool for a few minutes.
- Put the potatoes in a bowl and add milk, garlic, sour cream, and butter.
- Use a hand mixer or stand mixer to blend the potatoes until they are smooth and creamy.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve warm and garnish with fresh chives and parsley if desired.
Let’s Jump Into It!
Begin by thoroughly cleaning your purple potatoes. Peeling is optional – I personally like to leave the skins on for extra flavor and nutrients. Next, bring a large pot of water to a boil and add your potatoes. Boil them for about 20 minutes or until they are soft enough to be easily pierced with a fork.
If your potatoes are particularly large or if you have a weak mixer, I recommend cutting them into chunks before boiling. This will help them cook more evenly and make them easier to blend later on. Once your potatoes are cooked, drain them and set them aside to cool for a few minutes before moving on to the next step.
Toss into your mixer and turn on a low speed.
Add the garlic, milk, and sour cream and then beat on medium speed until blended.
Be sure to not mix for too long or else the potatoes will become ‘gluey’ in consistency. Then serve with other purple things, like eggplant steak or radicchio cole slaw! I could eat these potatoes all day, erry day.
Mashed Purple Potatoes
- 16 oz purple potatoes
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- Place the purple potatoes into a large pot and cover with about an inch of cold water.
- Bring the water to a boil and cook the potatoes for about 20 minutes or until they are easily poke-able with a fork.
- Drain the potatoes and then transfer them to a bowl for a stand mixer.
- Add the milk, minced garlic, and sour cream to the bowl.
- Using a stand mixer or potato ricer, blend the ingredients until smooth and creamy.
- Finally, serve the mashed purple potatoes warm, garnished with butter, fresh chives, and fresh parsley. Enjoy!