Hey there, Hungry People!
Today, I’m going to share a recipe that came together on a whim but turned out to be a delightful seafood feast. I was hit with an intense craving for some mouthwatering seafood Alfredo, so I decided to raid my fridge and get creative. Join me as we whip up a delectable scallop and broccoli Alfredo that can easily be customized with your favorite ingredients!
Keeping the Basics on Hand for Culinary Adventures
One of the perks of being a self-taught chef like me is that I’ve learned to keep my fridge stocked with essential ingredients for any recipe. That way, I’m always prepared to satisfy my sudden culinary whims. To make life easier, I’ve even created a go-to list of staple ingredients that I regularly restock. Who knows what delicious creations will come to mind next? This time, it was a fantastic combination of scallops, broccoli, and Alfredo sauce.
Here’s What You’ll Need
- Bay scallops: The star of the dish, providing a delicate and sweet seafood flavor.
- Fresh broccoli (or frozen & thawed): Adds a vibrant green color, texture, and a hint of freshness to the dish.
- Mushrooms: Brings earthy and savory notes to complement the scallops and broccoli.
- Heavy cream: Creates a rich and creamy base for the Alfredo sauce.
- Butter: Used for caramelizing the scallops, sautéing the mushrooms, and adding richness to the sauce.
- Parmesan cheese: Adds a nutty and salty flavor, while also helping to thicken the sauce and provide a cheesy finish.
- Angel hair or fettuccine pasta: The base of the dish, providing a satisfying and comforting texture to hold the flavors together.
Customize and Experiment with Flavors
The beauty of this recipe lies in its versatility. Don’t be afraid to raid your freezer and add your favorite seafood delights. Scallops, shrimp, calamari—let your imagination run wild!
For my version, I opted for some tender bay scallops, paired them with frozen broccoli, and added a touch of earthiness with fresh mushrooms, all nestled in a light, cheesy sauce. Feel free to get creative and try different combinations based on what you have available.
Now let’s dive into the cooking process!
Start by caramelizing the scallops in a skillet with a generous pat of butter. Make sure to leave enough room around each scallop to prevent overcrowding and ensure even cooking. We want these beauties to develop a crispy, golden-brown top while remaining perfectly tender on the inside. The scallops are ready when they lose their translucent appearance and sport that delightful caramelized crust.
First, I caramelized the scallops in a skillet with some butter. It’s best to leave room around each scallop so they aren’t over crowded in the pan, and also so they cook evenly rather than steam due to close proximity.
A Symphony of Flavors: Broccoli and Mushrooms
Once the scallops are done, remove them from the pan, but don’t clean it just yet! Add another tablespoon of butter and toss in some freshly chopped mushrooms. Let them sauté until they become golden and fragrant.
Next, introduce the thawed broccoli, and give everything a good stir until the broccoli is perfectly heated through. These two ingredients will add an incredible depth of flavor to our dish.
The Creamy Touch: Alfredo Sauce
In a smaller pan, melt a quarter cup of butter and gradually whisk in the heavy cream to create a luscious, velvety base for our Alfredo sauce. Once the cream is incorporated, it’s time to add the star of the show—Parmesan cheese! Stir it gently into the sauce until it melts completely, creating a rich and creamy masterpiece.
Bring It All Together
While our sauce is simmering to perfection, let’s cook our noodles according to the instructions on the box. Once they are perfectly al dente, drain them and toss them into the pan with the cooked broccoli and mushrooms.
Now, here comes the best part—pour that delectable Alfredo sauce over the noodles and give everything a good stir until each strand is completely coated.
We can’t forget about our star ingredient—the scallops!
Gently fold them back into the pan, allowing them to bask in the warmth of the noodles and sauce, ensuring they’re reheated to perfection. The flavors are melding together beautifully, creating a symphony of taste that will make your taste buds dance with joy.
To complete this delightful masterpiece, sprinkle a generous amount of shredded Parmesan cheese over the dish. Serve it up piping hot and get ready to indulge in a harmonious blend of creamy sauce and succulent seafood.
This recipe is a game-changer for those busy weeknights when you crave something quick, easy, and utterly delicious.
So, my fellow Hungry People, grab your aprons and let’s get cooking! Don’t forget to share your culinary adventures in the comments below and tag @TheStarvingChefBlog on Instagram in all of your delicious creations.
Until next time, happy cooking and enjoy the magic of homemade meals!
Scallop & Broccoli Alfredo
- 8 oz bay scallops
- 2 cups fresh broccoli (or frozen & thawed)
- ½ cup mushrooms sliced
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 8 tablespoons butter split into 1/4 cups
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese + more for topping
- ¼ box angel hair or fettuccine pasta
- Cook the noodles according to the instructions on the box.
- In a large pan, heat a tablespoon of butter over medium-high heat, then add the scallops and caramelize them on each side for about 2-4 minutes, or until cooked through. Remove the scallops from the pan.
- Using the same skillet without cleaning, heat another tablespoon of butter over medium heat. Add the sliced mushrooms and sauté them. Then, add the broccoli to the pan along with another tablespoon of butter. Stir the ingredients until the broccoli is heated through.
- In a smaller pan, melt ¼ cup of butter over medium-low heat while slowly whisking in the heavy cream. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add the ¼ cup of Parmesan cheese and stir until the cheese has completely melted into the sauce.
- Combine the cooked noodles with the broccoli and mushrooms in the pan. Pour the sauce over the noodles and stir well to ensure even coating.
- Add the cooked scallops to the pan and fold them gently into the pasta.
- Serve the dish immediately, and for an extra touch of cheesiness, sprinkle some additional Parmesan cheese on top. Enjoy!